Saturday, November 2, 2013

Dear Mama.... Love from Korea (Unorganization)

October 29, 2013

On Tuesday, my co-teachers finally started to take it seriously that I do not have phone service on my cell phone (after a whole month). We go to KT after school to try to sign up for the prepaid SIM card plan. The sales associate quickly sets it up but doesn't really check to make sure the data is working. He just assures us that it will work so after we leave, I check to see if I can get on the internet or use my apps. Of course, it doesn't work and I already paid extra for the data plan. It is a waste. The next day my co-teacher works really hard to make phone calls and try to get the data to work on my phone. I appreciate that she did try her best with it, but in the end it just doesn't work with my foreign phone. I can only use talk and text minutes now but at least I have a phone number. The next step is to find an inexpensive used smartphone...not the easiest thing to do. Who knows when I will finally have a fully functioning phone with service.

This week was the first week I had a full class load everyday. I found out on Tuesday that I will have to come up with the syllabus for the two additional teaching hours I am supposed to work a week. I have to teach 22 hours a week but the regular classes I have scheduled are only 20 hours, so there is an additional 2 hours that I had to come up with a teaching plan. I still don't understand it and it's frustrating. Why can't they just add two more regular classes and call it a day. The 2 hour "special" class is split between a class called English Playground where we just play games and somehow teach English and a 20 minute class I give in the morning for my co-teachers. They expect me to continue with the English Playground class that was set up before, which I am not excited about at all. Seeing that I am taking it over from what's already been set up, they could have at least given me the same syllabus or at least some sort of guide or direction for it. Nooo, they want me to come up with it on my own in two days. Weird...so I just made stuff up. I will have to teach English Playground on Mondays to fifth graders in November and fourth graders in December. I start November 11th...I have no idea what I am supposed to teach my co-teachers on Mondays and Tuesdays? Sometimes I really wish it was a little more organized and structured...I like order.


I also had to sign a contract for my after school class that starts on Tuesday, November 5th. At least that is a little extra money. The scary thing is that the second week of my after school class will be open class, which is when parents come to sit in on the class. Ahhhhh...Stress!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment