Saturday, November 30, 2013

Dear Mama.... Love from Korea (Busy Busy Busy November)

November 23, 2013

Woow...it's been a whole month since I have blogged! It has definitely been a very busy time for me. Since Halloween, I have been on lesson planning OVerLoAd. On November 4th, I also started going to a beginners Korean language class twice a week. I also got an annoying email from EPIK that same week saying I have an additional online orientation to complete. I started teaching my after school class, English Ninja, on November 5th and started teaching my additional class, English Playground, on November 11th. I was told that I would have an open class a week after English Ninja started. An open class is a frightening concept to me because its when the teachers (and principals) can come sit in on your class. To have an open class so soon after starting the program was worrying and stressing me out. Luckily, I was told that it would be pushed back a week and because of the school Spelling Bee it would have to be at the end of that week. The only additional stress was having to plan the word lists for the Spelling Bee. November 12th was the school talent show! It was nice to have a day to see the students do what they like to do and perform what they had been working so hard on in their classes.


The Spelling Bee was November 20th and 21st. It was chaotic the first day but better the second day. I felt so bad for the kids when they spelled a word completely wrong and I started thinking it was me. "Did I pronounce that correctly?" I especially had trouble understanding them when they said certain letters like V or X. They were not allowed to ask for the word in a sentence so I also felt bad if it was a word that sounded like another word, like "there" and "their" or "right" and "write."


The day of my open class, November 22, was actual not as bad as I thought it would be. Only one parent showed up and sat in on the class. I also had planned a pretty good lesson that all the students were able to enjoy and understand. I could finally breathe a little better once that was over!

The co-teacher I was having particular issues with also did me a huge favor. Back when I hurt my eye from the fireworks show, he filed a complaint with some organization. After giving him my doctors note and bankbook, that company, not only reimbursed my doctor's fee, but also gave me pain and suffering money! Needless to say, now I like my co-teacher because he's making me money. Although, it was very awkward that they interrupted the Spelling Bee for me to sign some papers from an official in order to receive the money.

My co-teachers also told me that the bank called the school to notify me that I won a contest for opening an account with them and have two free movie tickets waiting for me. Yay! Unfortunately, I am not off early enough to go to the bank to pick them up. It would be nice though, especially since going to the movies when I am bored is my thing. I went to see Thor just because there was nothing else to do and I wouldn't mind being able to go see the Hunger Games for free if I could get those tickets.

Sometimes my co-teachers actively care about my well-being but others times they really confuse me. Last week, my head co-teacher scheduled me to have 5 classes back to back so I would have to eat lunch last. When I got to the lunch room the food was gone and they were mopping and cleaning up. I asked my co-teachers what time does lunch end and they said they didn't know. I told them I had not eaten all day and lunch was over when I got there. All they said was "oh, really?" So the next time my schedule was like that I ran to lunch! I learned my lesson with that. They really don't notice things I say or do unless it's direct and in their face. I came to school wearing a wig one day and they said, "Oh...did you perm (curly perm) your hair?" lol Yes, a perm would make my hair 7 inches longer and thicker. 

On a side note, it has gotten freezing cold. I am so thankful that I got my package with my winter coat and sweaters just in time! Thanks Mom!!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear your lessons are improving. I want to do a spelling bee at the school here as well, you'll have to let me know what your words were. Congratulations on all your recent lucky breaks, there's a contest every Friday for movie tickets here but the theater is too far away from me to go and come back, so I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What grades are you going to have it for?

      Delete