Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Dear Mama…. Love from Korea (Orientation)

September 26, 2013

It's me! As you know, I met up with Mr. H when my flight had a layover in San Francisco. We sat together on the plane to South Korea and kept each other busy on such a loooooong flight (12 hours). I even had to break out the UNO cards. Once we landed in Incheon and found our way to the arrival section, I looked around but no Alistair. Mr. H saw him first which was good because it would have taken me a while to find him considering he did not look exactly how I imagined. So, we sat down and met a couple of the other people waiting. Not too long later, Alistair took Mr. H and most of the other people back to the guesthouse. This process continued for 5 hours!….excuse me, but I just want to take a nap! I continued to wait and Alistair said that because of the way the guesthouse is situated, I was in a certain part that was different from the other people who got to leave before me. He wanted people in the same area to take the shuttle together. On top of that we were told that we would be sharing rooms and my roommate got there the day before (so I could pretty much expect someone who has already made themselves at home). The good thing is that I got to meet a lot of the other teachers at the airport. So finally, when it was my turn to go, we get there and guess what?! The guesthouse is just one large building lol! There were no separate sections or crazy order to it, so I was confused why I had to wait for so long because we were all in the same building. I stepped into the room and as I expected, my roommate had made herself real comfortable. She had already washed clothes and had them laid out on this large drying rack in front of the free bed. Wellll…

Then it was dinner time around an hour later but all I wanted to do was sleep. Funny though, that once the food was put in front of me I became hungry. I had a pork cutlet, which was good! I was not expecting to have Korean food so soon…I wanted to ween myself into it but here goes! After dinner, I actually talked to my roommate and she seemed pretty cool. She was from New Zealand (but Filipino). I forgot about that country existing because I never hear about it so I was like "ohhhh….yea, cool."


The next morning we had breakfast (at the same place), which I did not eat because they had an amended menu and it's going to take me a while to think of lunch/dinner food as breakfast! I went to the convenience store and grabbed a rice meat roll thingy. Then, it was on to the new hotel for the IMOE Orientation. Goodbye Guesthouse!


Guess what the new hotel was….A Ramada (surprise surprise) in Songdo! I did not think they would have a Ramada in Korea. Alistair said his goodbyes and we got our room assignments and met our new roommates. This time she was from somewhere I know…North Carolina!






For lunch, a bunch of us went searching around town for a good place to eat lunch. I had bulgogi for the first time which was good but in a kind of soup where I burnt my tongue. After that day everything started to taste the same and be unsatisfying (but that could have been the fact that most of it was soup). After settling in the room after lunch I took a nap (was knocked out) but dinner was supposed to be at a certain time. Just like me, I woke up at exactly the time dinner was supposed to start and my roommate was still sleeping too! We raced to put on "smart casual" clothes and go to dinner. My first day and I am already late to something! At dinner we met the other english teachers who came through the EPIK program.




The rest of orientation pretty much went: 1. breakfast, 2. long lecture, 3. lunch, 4. long lecture, 5. dinner, 6. long lecture. It was only different on the day we had the health check and the day we had the tour. The tour was the best day! My group had three tour guides and we went to Wolmido, which had an amusement park. Two of my guides, Lee Boram and Jeong Hyewon, I still keep in contact with through KakaoTalk (since I don't have phone service yet). They were all scared to get on the rides so I convinced Hyewon to face her fears and ride Disco Pang Pang! This ride made no sense and was like a large skillet that shakes people up. We had dinner after the tour with a host family, which was the best since I have been in Korea and soooo much food!



On a side note, Mr. H started to slowly disappear (make new friends) by the end of orientation. I thought I made a close friend, Miss Love, but by the end of orientation she also became cold and stand-offish.The last thing she said was, "We had fun last night. You should have came?" What? I don't remember being invited anywhere! Do I have some sort of friend repellant on?!

No comments:

Post a Comment