Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Dear Mama…. Love from Korea (First Weekend)

October 5, 2013

When I got home from school, I tried to Kakao my Ramada roommate and Mr.H (and whoever else I could think of) to see what they were doing for the weekend. I was invited to meet up with my roommate, but once I got to the location I had no WiFi, so I could not find out exactly where to meet her. Mr. H invited me to another party but I wasn't too enthused by who was hosting it so I said I would pass. I even FB Messaged Kathy (my schoolmate from the College of New Rochelle). Unfortunately, I did not answer her in enough time on Saturday because she decided it was too late to meet at that point. She said she was going to be too "busy" and she would contact me when she had more time…ummm hmmm. I also sent a Kakao message to the tour guide Boram but she said she had a cold and would show me around when she felt better. So much for the Korean love. Needless to say, I spent my first weekend alone…and what do I do when I am alone? SHOP! Luckily, my school had already deposited my entrance allowance. I did not need to know how to speak Korean, all I needed to see on something I liked was the price. My eating situation wasn't as easy though! After orientation ended, my meals became few and in between. I even figured out how to ride the train which was really easy and I went to Bupyeong to do more shopping! I wanted to go to a jazz festival but was afraid I would get lost since I could not really read the address of the lounge it was at (it was in a brochure written in Korean) so I had to pass. Surprisingly, I ran into another teacher from orientation while walking on the street and added her to my Kakao. That summed up my first weekend.

I found a cute little cafe called Cafe 1450 (or 1950 because it has two conflicting signs) and it gives free WiFi. I really like the space but every now and then it smells like cigarettes because a lot of people come to smoke and drink coffee outside. I also feel obligated to buy something if I spend hours there using the internet so I don't go too often since the cheapest thing is iced tea for 3500 won (kinda pricey). While I was web surfing on my laptop I went on FB and realized that all the english teachers from orientation hang out together…I felt very left out! Somehow they can all communicate with each other, no problem, enough to meet up and hang out. So I know I missed two parties…but no one messaged me about anything else. Mr. H just invited me when I would reach out to him…in sort of an after thought. It's interesting that my situation in America is the same in South Korea.

No comments:

Post a Comment