Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Dear Mama…. Love from Korea (Another Holiday!)

October 15, 2013

I have realized that my fellow co-teachers have the ability to change the schedule as they please….OK. Monday was a long day because instead of teaching 4 classes and finishing by 12pm, I had 5 and the last 2 classes were pushed back so I didn't finish until 2:40pm. I got a very special personalized gift from the female vice-principal, a handmade traditional fan! I went to say thank you but felt awkward to say thank you to only her because the male vice-principal also gave me a very nice gift the week before (a manicure set). I said thank you, left, told my co-teacher I felt awkward, then went back to say thank you to the male vice-principal too. My co-teacher said that it's better that I did that because now the other vice-principal won't hold a grudge against me! I could see that situation happening in, not only Korea, but also America. Tuesday, is yet another holiday, but it's the school's anniversary holiday so not everyone is off. Wednesday will be my first time teaching fourth grade since I have only taught fifth and sixth so far. Friday, is supposed to also be a special day because it is the Teacher's Club Day where we will go out to the Central Park and walk around and eat lunch. I am looking forward to interacting with the other teachers and principals outside of school but I am also a little nervous. I don't want to do or say anything that will be viewed as bad manners like pour drinks with the wrong hand. My co-teacher already told me that I will be eating fish that day so I am a little scared of how I will eat it. I am worried my facial expression will give away that I hate fish! I did not know I was coming to the land of soup and fish, my two worst enemies lol. Plus everyone has limited English skills. It will be interesting. My head co-teacher will, unfortunately, not be able to go so I will be with another co-teacher. I wonder if there will be drinking and if we will go to Norebang?!

On a side note, I have started cooking homemade meals and finally bought a CD so that I don't have to listen to Korean talk radio all day! I am so happy about my expensive CD purchase, Primary and the Messengers. It was worth it!


2 comments:

  1. That looks good! Who knew when you leave the country that you turn into a master chef? Good luck on Friday, maybe you can bring a sack lunch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got informed today that the outing for Friday was cancelled...maybe that means a menu change when they reschedule?!

    ReplyDelete