Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Dear Mama....Springing into Summer, Part 3


One thing that is unfortunate about the Spring is how the holidays dwindle down to nothing. Even back in the U.S. there are few spring holidays but schools at least get spring break. In Korea, there is Labor Day, Children's Day and Buddha's Birthday, which all fall in May. This year my school decided to give students and permanent teachers the whole week off for Children's Day.  I couldn't enjoy the whole week because I am a like a contract teacher but I could use my paid leave. Labor Day was on a Friday, I took off the Monday and Tuesday was Children's Day so I had a total of five days off! I was anticipating cousin Theresa to visit so I did not plan a trip during that week. I just had a lot of time to relax and start things I had been putting off. I had time to address a concern I had been with my teeth. My teeth on the bottom left side of my mouth had been really sensitive and it was painful to drink liquids and chew on that side. I went to the dentist but she could not find anything wrong with it so she said, "just chew on the other side of your mouth until it gets better...unless you want us to drill and fill every tooth on that side?" Great! Needless to say I did not do that. I also spent some time with a new guy I recently met but that was short lived. It WAS nice having someone around that cared so much to make dinner for me and want to spend everyday with me...if only it was a mutual feeling. I have been feeling very unattractive since living in Korea. On one night out, some guys even told me, "you look like you're going to church." But it was definitely not Bible study night at the bar, so I don't know how they thought that was something nice to say. I still appreciated the honesty though.

One day, I wanted to treat myself so I went to see a play called Grandpa Superstar. It was about an old man who wanted to dance anywhere, anytime but his daughter was really embarrassed by him. She called a professional "Fixer" company that could fix any problem or situation. The are hired to fix the old man so he stops dancing but instead they decide to join him and the take-away message was to always follow your dreams and never give up. It was nice at the end of the play when they asked audience members to text in message and they would choose a winner. Guess who they chose? Me, of course. I was rewarded with two free tickets to come back to see the show again. The play is in the "Broadway" area of Seoul, near Ihwa Village. I ran into Ai, who I had not seen since orientation, so that was nice to see a familiar face.

I also celebrated Cinco de Mayo in my special way....eating a lot of Spanish and Mexican food. Two days before, I went to see the highly anticipated Mayweather vs. Pacqiuao boxing match at the local Mexican restaurant, Taco Cielo. I can never tell who's winning if there isn't a K.O. The next night I got to see Anakaren and we went to the fancy Spanish restaurant we went to for her birthday dinner party. It was great as always and it makes me feel classy. The next day I met up with Suzie to eat some Mexican food which was even more delicious. As always, it was nice to catch up with those two, especially Suzie who would be leaving at the end of the month. It was actually my last time hanging out with her one-on-one.



After the holiday, I went on my own to explore the Hyeri Art Village in Paju. It was during the PAN arts festival so there were special performances throughout the day. It's a small arts community full of museums, galleries and restaurants. There were quirky things around every turn and it felt so peaceful because it was outside of the big city yet it was only a 45 minute bus ride from Seoul.


















The next day I went with SeoulSync to ride bikes along the Han again. This time was in a slightly different area than when I went with Seoulmate. This was my second event with SeoulSync, the first being the scavenger hunt. I remembered meeting the host, David, at the scavenger hunt so it was nice to see him again. We ate kimbap under the bridge beside the river and talked and laughed about old times, like watching Duck Tales. After riding bikes we checked out the C-Festival. I am still unsure what that festival was all about but it was nice to listen to the musical acts and look at the visual arts around Coex mall.












Suzie had her going away party at the end of the month. It was sad to see her go but she went out with a bang! I met up with her at the Lantern Festival and broke away to eat dinner before catching up with her again at SOMOS for tango lessons. I got there a little late so I missed half of the instruction but that didn't stop one guy from pulling me on the dance floor. I just followed his lead and felt it was a lot like swing dancing. Not to long after that we went to Hongdae to "party." I will never understand why people like Hongdae so much to stand around a park drinking before going into a hole in the wall smashed up against so many people you can't even move. It was her day though, so I sucked it up...or tried to. We stayed out alllll night and ended the morning with Karaoke before parting ways. I am pretty sure it's the last time I'll see Suzie, even though she's from Maryland. By the time I go back home she will be traveling around south and south east Asia before working in Australia. I am happy for her and impressed by her free spirit. It was really great to have her as a friend in Korea, especially since she felt like my only real one most of the time. It was a wonderful end to a lovely season and an exciting step closer to the end of my time here.















P.S. - It's so weird how I used to work in the KITA building in Washington, DC and thought nothing of it and, now that I have a relationship with Korea, I am actually able to stand in front of the original KITA building. It all came full circle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment