Monday, July 27, 2015

Dear Mama....Springing into Summer, Part 1


Wow! I can't believe it's been four months since I last posted. Partly because I don't think anyone really reads this and because soooo much has happened. To kick off spring, I went to Holi Hai in Busan. It is an Indian holiday for the coming of spring that I was fortunate to observe here in Korea due to the hard work of the Indian immigrants that wanted to share their culture with the rest of us. It was a giant color burst party on the beach. I sat a little away from the craziness and was a spectator of how happy everyone looked chasing each other, throwing colors on each other, singing, dancing, and babies squirting colored water from their water guns. A couple of people even approached me to include me in the fun by painting the back of my shirt or rubbing a little on my cheeks. This trip marked my last visit to Busan and I officially got to see it in every season. I always love coming to Busan and eating all the foods I miss, like crispy bacon! I always see something new and this time was no exception because I went to the Gamcheon Culture Village, Busan Museum of Art and Haedong Yonggung Temple. Gamcheon village emerged around the Korean War when the poor and war refugees moved to Busan in search of a place to start a community for themselves. There aren't really streets and it feels like houses stacked on houses because many of the homes are makeshift. I will just post the pics because I think the beauty speaks for itself.










 __________________________________________________________









 __________________________________________________________





 















 __________________________________________________________

 









One thing I find strange is how dressed up Koreans get to walk on the beach. They have on their Sunday best. They even go in the water fully clothed...but to be fair it was a little chilly since it was early spring. Another thing I don't understand is why they use hostels in groups instead of share hotels or motels with privacy. I feel like hostels should only be for foreigners visiting a different country. I feel a little uncomfortable with Koreans ata hostel because the sense of friendship you make with other foreigners gets thrown away. In the U.S. I would never think of staying in hostels in other states nor do I think I am allowed to.

I had been really wanting to ride a bike along the Han river and go on another picnic so I got the perfect opportunity to go with Seoulmate. We met up at World Cup Stadium and learned about some of the unique sculptures there, like the "sky bowl" in Haneul park (the park that touches the sky). World Cup Stadium used to be a landfill before what it is today. It's amazing how well they transformed the space!





















No comments:

Post a Comment