Thursday, August 20, 2015

Dear Mama....I'm in Tokyo Japan! Just a taste of Robots, Sumo and Ninjas.

For Buddha's Birthday, we got Monday off of school so I took advantage of the long weekend by going to Tokyo. I was so excited to visit Japan again. the last time I visited was in the winter so it was uncomfortable to walk around sightseeing in Fukuoka. This time it was blazing hot but I was still happy for the warmth. Whenever I travel I try to map out every detail as much as possible but since I was overwhelmed at school with open class and co-teaching issues, I did not put as much time toward preparing as I should have. Commuting is the hardest part about Japan and I guess I didn't learn that lesson the first time I came so I still came without English maps of the city. I expected things to be easy to find. I got in late Friday night and went from the airport to the airport subway line without any trouble. When I arrived at the subway station near my hotel, the real problems began. I tried following a very vague map but walked around in circles for about an hour.  The good thing is how friendly the Japanese were because whoever I asked for help was graciously willing to help. I finally gave up around midnight and took a taxi, which ended up being a short ride since the hotel was around the corner.



 The next day, I checked in to my very first AirBnB. I stayed with a woman named Hanako and it was closer to the tourist areas in the city. I was surprised when I first got there that she was not there and there was no WiFi. My plan to look up what to do for the day was spoiled so I definitely had to wing it. I went shopping in Harujuku and to the famous Shibuya crossing. Harujuku was amazing and full of creative, unique shops. I felt compelled to buy something artistic even though it was small and expensive. I also bought some clothes from a store called "(me)" which ironically sold a lot of Korean clothes and blasted K-pop music. While walking around Shibuya, I saw a giant robot on a flatbed truck and thought to myself, "only in Japan." Then, I went to the red light district in Shinjuku (Kabuchiko) to see an actual Robot Show. I was late to the showtime I booked but I was lucky enough that one of the workers tried her best to get me in to the last show. The show was spectacular and hard to explain with words. It's a must see. I was sitting next to another female solo traveler during the show and she recommended another must see, the Ninja restaurant, which I put on my to do list. The unfortunate thing is that, in all my excitement, I left my clothes I bought in Harujuku there but I didn't realize it until I was on my way back to Seoul.





































At the end of the night I finally met my AirBnB host, although I felt bad for waking her up so late. She was very helpful in giving me transit information. She mentioned that she doesn't use the shower in her apartment and it's only for guests because she goes to the sauna to shower. The SAUNA?! I found that so unusual and interesting. The next day I went on a cultural tour. We went to Meiji Shrine, Imperial Palace Garden and Edo Castle Ruins, and Senso-ji Temple in Asakusa. I learned about the temple tradition where people wash their mouths before going in to cleanse the words they speak when giving prayers. They also burn paper to burn away their problems and let go of the bad things in their life. At the garden, there is not much of a palace left due to a fire a long time ago so all you see is the base, which is still pretty massive. Inside you can hear the grunts of "ninjas" training (just kidding...it was fencing practice...with ninjas). Asakusa is a very traditional area, you can buy lots of souvenirs. At Senso-ji Temple, I got a fortune by shaking a wooden tube filled with sticks. After turning the tube upside down, a stick will pop out with a number on it. I had to find the number on a wall of numbered boxes and take a paper out of the box with the same number.  The paper with my fortune said,"Your hard life with so much trouble for such a long time, will be over and may get better day by day. By the help of a noble and mayor person, you can get permission and recommendations and your future will be improved for the better. As the last flower can make the best fruit, your fortune smiles and will finally come to you. Income and wealth will be in your hands, free and long lasting...Your requests will be granted, if you're sick you will get well soon, your lost articles will be found---but late, the person you wait for will come---but late, if you build a new home or take it down it will both turn out well, you trips will start well, marriage and employment will both be well." 


















_______________________________________________________________

Palace











_______________________________________________________________

















I hurried from Asakusa to Ryogoku to watch the Sumo wrestlers walk into the hall. The Sumo tournament only happens a few times a year and I missed the opportunity to buy tickets before they sold out but I still wanted to see real life Sumo wrestlers. I didn't realize how many famous wrestlers were foreigners/not Japanese. The energy of the fans in the crowd was so electric. Every time a wrestler stepped out of the car there was a surge of cheers. There was one older black man that passed by and I could feel by the crowd's reaction that he must have been a legend. I had no clue who anyone was but I felt how important they were and couldn't help but have a smile on my face to share in that experience.















I didn't eat any of the elaborate Ramen meals of Japan (or the pork cutlets and omelette rice) because i felt like I could get that back in Korea. I did, however, try the tempura and teriyaki chicken. There was one tempura that I was unsure about but I'm guessing now that it was pumpkin and it was melt in your mouth good. Of course, I tried the sushi when I went to the Ninja restaurant. I regret not having more. It was hard to find the restaurant without WiFi so I went to the Yodobashi-Akiba area where there is a huge shopping complex with a wide range of electronic products. I found the cell phone section and was able to use the WiFi to get information for the Ninja restaurant. I spent so much money in that restaurant but it was worth it. I treated myself to a 4-course meal: ninja salad, tuna sushi rolls, Kobe steak, and a dessert that reminded me of a Rice Krispies cake. When I first arrived there I was led through a dark corridor by a ninja. It was fun to role-play along with the staff performers. Towards the end of dinner I was shown a magic card trick by a ninja. I still can't figure it out and never will. I got so caught up with ending my Japan trip with a bang that I ran out of money to get to the airport the next day, same as Thailand. I found a WiFi area at the subway and found away to pay for the train to the airport with my credit card. Phew!











Japan is such an interesting place. I found myself comparing it to Korea and thinking everything is better (except the cost of living). The people were nicer, they didn't push or shove and if they accidentally bumped me, they said sorry. The trains were more comfortable and spacious. A lot of people rode bikes so it wasn't as congested with cars and as a pedestrian it's a lot safer. Again, the people will help you if you look lost. It didn't smell as bad and it wasn't dirty with litter, spitting and throw up in the streets. The houses are shorter and cuter and look more like houses back in the U.S. The Japanese seem more creative when it comes to buildings, stores, style including the way they dress and wear their hair. I even think the people, especially the men, look more attractive because they are more tan and "western looking" I guess. I rarely saw couples too; there were more same sex groups of friends. In general, I got the impression that the Japanese are more free spirited and less systematic than Korea.  On the other hand, it was very hard to commute. English isn't everywhere. It's very easy to get lost and it's very expensive to travel on the trains and taxis. It's also expensive to eat and shop for clothes. There is also a major lack of free WiFi. What's a girl to do? You would think there would would be maps and travel guides everywhere, but no. You have to actively search for it. Anyway, it's a great place to vacation as long as you come prepared with directions and lots of money! I think I could have spent a lot more time in Tokyo because I didn't get to see Mt. Fuji, Geishas or go up Tokyo Tower but I did as much as I could in a weekend. There's definitely a reason to come back. Next time I would hope to venture through Japan to Kyoto and Osaka.

No comments:

Post a Comment