Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Dear Mama....My Last Christmas in Korea

It's a new year with new opportunities and new possibilities. 2014 ended on a low note but I do not believe that foreshadows how the new year will be. I was blessed enough to spend Christmas with my friend, Suzie and her friend Holly. We talked, listened to music and watched what most would call a chick flick, Love Actually. It was so nice to just chill out with other girls and not in my room like I usually do. Later, I went to this fancy mall with Anakaren where we ate at a newly opened P.F. Chang's restaurant. It was delicious and it was the first time in a long time where I was stuffed and satisfied.







Back at school we even had some Christmas celebrations in my classes, mostly because one of my co-teachers gets really into the Christmas spirit. I threw my after school class a Christmas party where we had cake, opened presents and played some games. I tried to let them pick a Christmas movie to watch but they didn't enjoy that so much since the movies were all in English. I still hope they enjoyed themselves but I can never tell. One thing about the holiday that makes me sad is just how little spirit people have here. One of my co-teachers is really religious from a studious perspective and doesn't have any kind of joyous spirit. He doesn't do presents or decorations...he only goes to church...but more out of duty than for fulfillment. It may also be his excuse because he often says he struggles with money? I experience that with a lot of Korean Christians where they study Christianity and approach it as a subject to master. They have low energy and are very matter of fact. If you don't follow the Bible exactly you can't be a Christian. I was sad thinking of how my co-teacher's little boy will never really know the joy of giving or the excitement of Christmas.


Korean New Year Soup, Tteokguk with Mandu, for lunch
After Christmas, I was pretty much on my own. I even fell asleep early on New Years Eve and woke up at midnight only because I heard fireworks going off outside. Well hello 2015! I finished classes and started concentrating on my winter camp and winter vacation. My winter camp had a stop motion animation theme which received a majority vote from my students. It's funny because it was actually my first time doing stop motion animation and now I was teaching it to others like I was a pro or something. No one knew the difference and it was actually fun. Except for the script writing part because my students are not very creative storytellers and find it to be a chore. They loved making the characters and filming though. You can watch their videos here. The day after camp I was off to Thailand for a week! Just in time too because I was starting to feel sick.











P.S. - I was able to attend the k-blog awards to support some of the expat bloggers in Korea. Simon (I met at the Andong Festival) and Charly were nominated and winners of some awards. It was nice to be in a room with so many creative expats that found a way to share their message or art in Korea.



No comments:

Post a Comment