Friday, March 6, 2015

Dear Mama....I'm in Thailand, Part 3

This was probably a very wasted day but I was still excited to ride on a sleeper train. And surprisingly it was very relaxing. The next morning, I was in Bangkok. I went to a this hotel because it was a pickup location for my next tour. The front desk staff was less than helpful though but finally I was able to notify the tour company that I was waiting for pickup. I met this funny couple from New Zealand. As we were visiting the famous Buddhist temples we saw actually ceremonies held by the monks. The New Zealand man lagged behind at one temple to pray and later mentioned how his daughter was sick and it couldn't hurt to pray wherever he could even if it wasn't his religion. That was interesting theory and I am sure with all the spiritual activities around us one can't help but feel encouraged and motivated.





Our tour guide

Real gold Buddha



 _________________________________________________________________
 















 _________________________________________________________________





 _________________________________________________________________











At the end of the tour they took us to a gemstone gallery. It was beautiful to look at but I was not about to spend all my money on rubies and sapphires. After checking into my hostel and eating lunch, I got ready for my Thai cooking class. It was a fun class because the teacher was such a comedian. He had a joke for everything but he was still informative. I guess that's why so many people were returning visitors. I met many other travelers including a girl from North Carolina who was studying abroad in Thailand. I tried to get some advice from her on what to do for my last night out but she was more interested in talking to the guy next to us about what to do for his bachelor party. A older couple shared an observation I had that when they see other foreigners they just walk past and ignore them. Except with other black people, that happens to me too.

I was hoping to find someone to hang out with my last night. I wouldn't mind going to a cabaret or ladyboy show or even to see some Thai boxing. Since I didn't know what to do I decided to go to one of the popular night markets near the cooking class and pick up some souvenirs. I left with another girl from the cooking class who was a flight attendant from Hong Kong. On the way to the metro I saw a huge rat and made a gasping noise. As soon as she heard me, she took off running in the street without even looking back. It was hilarious. Eventually she slowed down and I caught up to her. She said she was scared of stuff like that...that's why she didn't want to walk alone. She was nice though. When I got to the night market I saw a lot of the same stuff except there were go go dancing bars on the side. I only had a little money left so I had to be wise.
I had no energy for bargaining and I guess the vendors didn't either. Some looked like they didn't want to be bothered while others basically ignored me or pushed me out the store by following behind me so closely. I saw these beautiful silk pant skirts and asked the price. Since it was too high I started to walk away but the lady wanted me to bargain down the price. I kept walking when suddenly she yelled out an ultimate low price, something like $3. When I walked back to her to ask her if she would really sell it at that price, she just ignored me. I found some art and bought it for the price the lady told me but I think it was overpriced. I only had enough for one more thing and I gave the amount left over to a beggar on the street. Then it dawned on me that I need money to pay for the train ride back to the airport!












I took the metro part of the way and walked the rest of the way to my hostel because I started to panic. When I got to my hostel I wanted to confirm with the staff how much the train cost to go back to the airport. I was short 10 baht! I don't know why but one of the staff members gave me the whole fare to the airport. I felt so bad but thankful. The people of Thailand really are kind and generous. As you can assume, I made it back to Korea ok...let the shoving begin. I thought my vacation would make me miss it but I only missed the bathroom.




P.S. - I am going to avoid flying China Eastern because they always stop at Shanghai Pudong Airport which is the worst. I wrote a very detailed feedback form explaining why it's the worst. It deters me from ever wanting to visit China.

No comments:

Post a Comment