Saturday, September 13, 2014

Dear Mama....Last Days of Summer

After vacationing in Taiwan, I came back and rested for a while until the weekend. It was Korean Independence Day over the weekend, so I went with Anakaren and her family, who were also visiting, to tour around Seoul. We walked around the National Palace Museum before heading over to the N Seoul Tower on Namsan Mountain. This time, I actually went up the tower (because with the Seoulmate tour we only walked around it...and Namsangol Hanok Village). I thought it was one of the tallest towers but inside there was a window with all the major towers of the world, comparing their heights. The CN Tower in Canada is actually taller and I had been in that one before, watching the crazy people on the outside dangling from the top. There was no such sight at N Seoul Tower and the best part was the elevator ride up. There was a very cool video that we watched that made it look like the elevator was shooting in to outer space. Another great part of going to the tower was The Best Burger in Seoul, a NY themed burger/hot dog restaurant at the bottom. The burgers were made fresh and the fries were scrumptious! The next day, we went met in Gangnam, went to a couple of shoe stores and went to dinner at TGIFridays.



 __________________________________________________________________

With Seoulmate Tour











I also met up with Suzy and we went to Changdeokgung Palace. It did not look that much different from the other palaces though. We also went to Insadong, which was fabulous. It's so artistic and traditional at the same time. The feel of it is very inspiring!
















The next weekend, I met Charly, a popular YouTube vlogger here in Korea. Before I came to Korea, I watched many of her videos to see how it is for a black woman living and teaching in Korea. She really helped me at the time to figure out if it would be a good place for me to go. She currently lives in Incheon and was facing the same predicament with the renewal situation, so we had a common bond. We hung out for a beautiful and relaxing day in Incheon's Chinatown and Songdo. Check out her videos here if your interested in learning more about how it is to live in Korea.













 
Anakaren celebrated her birthday early at Mi Casa restaurant in Itaewon. We also went Hongdae for a little bit to a rinky dink bar/cub...I could've done without that part put I sucked it up for her birthday. The next day, I went with Suzy to the Happy Seoul video shoot in Gangnam. It was part of a project based on Pharrel's Happy song to showcase how happy Seoul is and help uplift people's spirits after the Sewol Ferry accident. At first, they asked us if we were prepared to dance and we both had a scared, confused expression on our face. Then, they said it was okay to just move around in the crowd looking VERY happy and mouthing the words to the song. I am eager and excited to see how the video will come out. In the meantime, here is a preview below.






Following that weekend was the first week of school. Back to school is here already! It felt like such a long week because I kept thinking about the long weekend coming up for Chuseok. I was happy, however, to eat school lunch again because bringing/buying my lunch over the summer vacation was such a headache. The kids were acting a little slow getting back in the swing of learning English. It will take a minute to get the momentum going again but I am ready. Let's go!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment